Celebrate the flavors of the summer with this bocconcini salad recipe. This is a fun twist on the classic Caprese salad with a combination of cherry tomatoes, basil, and bocconcini. Drizzled with balsamic glaze and olive oil, this salad is so easy to make and absolutely delicious!
Meet your favorite summer salad! There’s just something so refreshing about the sweet burst of cherry tomatoes and the creamy mozzarella. Plus, this recipe couldn’t be easier to put together, making it perfect for summer entertaining.
I love incorporating these classic Italian flavors into various fresh salads with different types of tomatoes and mozzarella throughout the summer. My Bruschetta salad also features bocconcini and tomatoes. Another go-to summer salad recipes uses a ball of creamy burrata for a burrata Caprese–ideal for special occasions!
📋 Ingredients you’ll need
Cherry tomatoes and bocconcini are a perfect pairing in terms of taste and texture. The sweetness of the cherry tomatoes is beautifully complemented by the slightly salty and savory nature of the creamy mini mozzarella balls.
This salad is truly about showcasing the ingredients, so the dressing is less of a vinaigrette and more of a drizzle of high-quality olive oil and balsamic glaze.
- Cherry tomatoes are delightfully sweet and slightly tangy. I prefer to use a variety of colored tomatoes as it adds visual interest, but this is optional.
- Bocconcini or mini mozzarella balls, are chosen for their creamy, mild taste, which balances the acidity of the tomatoes. They offer a delightful textural contrast to the salad.
- Fresh basil is a staple in this salad giving it a fragrant, aromatic note that complements the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Choose the highest-quality extra virgin olive oil you have, as it will be drizzled over the salad to impart richness and depth of flavor.
- Balsamic glaze is used here in place of balsamic vinegar. It adds a touch of sweetness and acidity.
- Salt is key to bring out the flavors of all the ingredients and help balance the sweet and acidity of the salad.
🔪 Step by step instructions
This salad couldn’t be easier to assemble.
- In a large salad bowl toss halved cherry tomatoes with bocconcini, basil and salt. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic glaze, toss again and serve.
Hint: I like to drizzle the balsamic glaze and olive oil on top and then toss the salad table side. It looks beautiful with the striking glaze on top.
There are a few substitutions you can make in this recipe depending on what you have on hand.
- Cherry tomatoes: Choose the freshest variety you can find! Grape tomatoes or chopped heirloom tomatoes are also great options.
- Bocconcini: If you can’t find bocconcini, you can use other varieties of fresh mozzarella including ciliegini or small cubes of fresh mozzarella.
- Balsamic glaze: If you don’t have balsamic glaze, you could use an aged balsamic vinegar, it will be a little bit more runny, but you’ll still get the balsamic flavors in the dish.
Looking for other salad recipes? Try these: