Make a delicious and creamy homemade hummus salad dressing with just four ingredients! This refreshing dressing is perfect for a quick lunch or meal prepping, simply grab your favorite hummus and combine with lemon juice, Dijon mustard, water and maple syrup.
The first time I thought about using hummus as a dressing, I felt like the smartest person i the world–I quickly realized, that I wasn’t the first person to think about this, but it truly has become one of my go-to dressings over the years.
Why this recipe works
The hummus makes up the base of the dressing, it provides a good amount of flavor ad also works as an emulsifier so you don’t need any extra olive oil. This dressing will last up to seven days in the fridge which makes it perfect for meal prepping.
Plus it works equally well on a salad or as a sauce for more of a bowl situation with roasted veggies.
Ingredients you’ll need
- The main ingredients for the dressing are hummus, water, maple syrup, lemon juice and Dijon mustard.
- When choosing the hummus, opt for your favorite! I like to choose a hummus that is creamy and has a hint of garlic (if your hummus doesn’t have any garlic in it, I recommend grating in a very small clove. You can totally use a different flavor of hummus to change things up, roasted red pepper or spicy hummus would both be great!
- For the sweetener, I’ve used maple syrup to keep the dressing vegan, but you could use honey as well, or leave it out if you don’t want a hint of sweetness.
- Lemon juice adds a hint of acidity but lime juice or white wine vinegar would also work very well.
Step by step instructions
This recipe takes only five minutes to put together, so the instructions couldn’t be simpler.
- Simply whisk all the ingredients together until combined. If you’d like to thin the dressing out more, add a little bit more cold water. If you’d like it to be thicker, add some more hummus.
- Make a spicy salad dressing using spicy hummus and hot red pepper flakes.
- Make a herbaceous “green goddess” version and toss in tons of minced fresh herbs like dill, chives or parsley.
- Make more of a caesar salad style dressing, add in some minced anchovies, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and Parmesan cheese.
This recipe was originally published on March 31, 2014 and updated on January 29, 2023.