Make a delicious summer quinoa salad wth tomatoes, fresh herbs and a delicious red wine vinaigrette. This light and fresh summer salad is a delicious side dish or add some chickpeas for a hearty lunch. This recipe was originally published on June 15, 2014 and updated on June 7, 2021.
Grain salads are one of my go-to dishes to make in the summer, they are perfect to prep ahead of time to bring to a potluck or to get something ready ahead of time if you’re having people over.
This salad is made with quinoa (which is great for feeding crowds because it’s also gluten free), but I also love making salads with farro and even brown rice
This quinoa salad is inspired by Mediterranean and Greek flavours; filled with fresh herbs (I use parsley and basil in here, but dill would also be delicious).
If you find yourself with leftover herbs, one of my favourite ways to use them in the summer is in a punch or refreshing sangria.
I’ve also served this with many kinds of salad dressings (a white balsamic vinaigrette is often my go-to), but in this version I’ve got a delicious red wine vinaigrette. A classic balsamic vinaigrette would also work here.
Along with the fresh herbs, this salad is vegan and has tons of textures and flavours going on. We’ve got cucumber and red bell pepper for crunch, cherry tomatoes for sweetness and red onion for a little bit of bite.
You could easily swap in whatever vegetables or ingredients you have on hand; sugar snap peas, crumbled feta cheese, chickpeas and lemon zest would all be great alternatives.
Summer Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, cooked to package directions
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 tsp salt
Homemade Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 small clove garlic, grated
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, about 12-15 minutes. Allow quinoa to cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prep dressing. Whisk vinegar with garlic, Dijon mustard and honey in a small bowl. While continuously whisking, pour in olive oil in a light, steady stream. Continue whisking until olive oil is incorporated into vinegar and dressing has thickened, about 30 seconds.
- Mix quinoa with tomato, red pepper, green onions, parsley and basil. Season with salt. Drizzle with dressing, you may not want all of the dressing, start by adding a little at a time and add more as you go.
Let me know if you give this summer quinoa salad a try in the comments below.