Make delicious vegetarian roasted cauliflower tacos with black beans, the perfect weeknight recipe ready in under 45-minutes and with a delicious sour cream, cumin and lime crema.
As I have been consciously adding more vegetarian and vegan meals into my weekly meal plans I’ve been scouring the internet for inspiration.
For me, the requirements for a weeknight dinner recipe are that it’s ready in under 45 minutes and doesn’t create an absolute disaster in the kitchen. These tacos? Well, they definitely fit the criteria.
When I’m looking for vegetarian dinner ideas I love to look at the New York Times cooking collection, I also find myself browsing Pinterest and trying to remember old favourites.
I’ve been making this delicious cauliflower taco that a friend developed for years and have added my own twist that I thought would be worth sharing.
My take includes black beans which adds some more bulk to the tacos and stretches the cauliflower. It’s nice to be able to reach for some black beans when cauliflower costs $7 a head!
How to roast cauliflower in the oven for tacos
The key is to chop the cauliflower into small, bite sized pieces so that you get lots of browning and crispy edges. It’s also important to use enough olive oil; I’m talking 1/4 cup not just a tablespoon. And the oven temperature makes a big difference.
For delicious and crispy roasted cauliflower, you’re looking at roasting at 450F.
For this recipe, it starts by stirring the olive oil with all of the spices and toss with the cauliflower. This makes sure that all of the pieces get evenly coated resulting in delicious tacos.
Look guys, I’m not going to lie, we’re using the oven for this recipe so the cauliflower won’t ever get as crispy as the cauliflower tacos you have in restaurants; those are deep fried. That said, these oven roasted cauliflower tacos are the next best thing.
And if you’re looking for more taco Tuesday inspiration, you can also try my slow cooker chicken tacos.
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos with Black Beans
- 1 large cauliflower, cut into small bite sized pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 19oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
For Cumin Lime Crema
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 8 small corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp minced cilantro
- Preheat oven to 450F. And arrange cauliflower on a baking sheet.
- In a measuring cup, whisk olive oil with coriander, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper and salt. Pour olive oil mixture over cauliflower and toss to coat–I like to use my hands for this to get everything evenly coated. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove from oven and carefully add black beans, stir to coat black beans in mixture.
- Meanwhile, a small bowl, whisk sour cream with garlic, lime zest and juice, salt and cumin.
- Spoon cauliflower mixture into tortillas, drizzle with crema and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Use two small heads of cauliflower if you can’t find one large one.
Let me know if you give this recipe a try in the comments below.