You’ll love this creamy spinach banana smoothie, made with yogurt, milk and peanut butter. It’s the perfect way to start your day! This recipe was originally published on August 3, 2014 and updated on May 1, 2022.
One of the best ways to start your day is with a smoothie. They are so easy to make, easy to take on-the-go, and are a surefire way to pack in lots of fruits and veggies. I like to change up my routine and make this green smoothie, triple berry smoothie, or a bright ginger and mango smoothie.
Why this recipe works
This recipe uses ingredients you likely already have on hand, which means you won’t need to make an extra trip to the store.
Plus, the frozen banana helps to make the smoothie creamy and you won’t even taste the spinach!
- Frozen banana — This is the key ingredient here, this helps give smoothie that creaminess that is so enjoyable. You can buy frozen bananas from the freezer aisle in the grocery store, or just slice one up and put it in the freezer overnight.
- Frozen spinach — I like to use frozen spinach because I always have it on hand. You could also use fresh spinach.
- Milk — I use regular 1 or 2% milk in my smoothie, but you could also use a non-dairy milk like almond milk.
- Yogurt — I like to use plain yogurt here, Greek yogurt or a non-dairy yogurt is also an option.
- Water — This is used to help with the thickness of the smoothie, I found using just milk and yogurt resulted in a smoothie that was a little too thick. If I have any coconut water on hand, I’ll often use that instead. You could also use orange juice if that is preferred.
- Oats — I started using these in smoothie years ago to add a little bit of bulk and make this a more filling breakfast.
- Peanut butter — this is an ingredient I always add to a smoothie. I like to use this instead of protein powder.
- Make sure to add your liquid ingredients first, this will help the other ingredients blend smoothly.
- For an extra creamy texture, make sure to blend the ingredients a little bit longer than you normally would. Using a high-powered blender if you have one is also helpful.
- I don’t find this smoothie needs any extra sweetness, but you could add a touch of honey.
This recipe makes two servings but you can easily double it for a family breakfast.
One of my favourite this to do is make little freezer bags for frozen smoothie packs that you can pull out in a pinch, simply freeze the banana, spinach, peanut butter, yogurt and oats. When you’re ready for breakfast just add the liquid ingredients and you are good to go.
If you’re looking for other easy breakfast ideas, I love to make overnight blueberry oats or prep some delicious whole wheat applesauce muffins on the weekend.
Spinach Banana Smoothie
- 1 sliced banana, frozen
- 1 cup heaping frozen spinach, about 130g
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup water, or coconut water
- ½ cup milk, dairy or non-dairy
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend until fully combined.
- If you’d like to sweeten the smoothie, try adding 1 teaspoon of honey.
Leave a Review