In under thirty minutes have a creamy and spicy homemade chipotle and broccoli stovetop macaroni and cheese on the table! This is the best homemade, stovetop mac and cheese you’ll ever make!
I did a thing this year, not totally intentional, but in hindsight, necessary. I took a break from blogging. I started doing things like cooking because I wanted to, not because I had to. And I also made a lot of macaroni and cheese. A lot.
I think I have enough macaroni and cheese recipes developed to last me until the end of time. What is it about comfort foods that make them the perfect elixir to a bad day?
Now, I didn’t just sit around and make macaroni and cheese, but I started to focus on myself–sleeping more, exercising, filling up my days with things that made me happy and were more than just work and stress. It’s done wonders! I feel truly healthier than ever. I have more energy than I have had in years, and I feel like I have my creative mojo back. All good things.
It took a while to get to this spot, but it was totally worth it. And even though there were a lot of difficult and challenging things happening during those months, I wouldn’t change any of it. I’m a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, it doesn’t always make sense when it’s happening, but usually in the end it does. Part of that? I have a new pace, it’s slower and more deliberate.
And it definitely involves lots of this chipotle and broccoli macaroni and cheese.
In my opinion, the key to a good macaroni and cheese is the consistency. I want something that is gooey and cheesy, not dry and hard–that’s why I prefer stovetop to oven-baked (I know, call me crazy). I also keep things simple by cooking the broccoli in the same pot as the macaroni (just add it during the last two minutes). The other key to a perfect mac and cheese? Salt. Yes. There is nothing worse than a bland macaroni and cheese, do not skimp on this important ingredient.
Chipotle and Broccoli Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 ½ cups 250g dried macaroni pasta, cooked to package directions
- 1 small head broccoli florets, chopped, about 2 ½ cups
- 3 tbsp salted butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
- Boil a large pot of salted water over high-heat, add macaroni and cook according to package directions, about 8 minutes. During last 2 minutes of cooking, add broccoli florets. Drain and set aside.
- In a large sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, whisking until bubbling and no lumps remain, about a minute. Carefully pour in milk, add chipotle, mustard powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer, and continue stirring until milk has thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Add salt, remove from heat and stir in cheese until completely melted and sauce is smooth. Add pasta and broccoli.
Let me know if you give this macaroni and cheese recipe with broccoli a try in the comments below.