You’ll love this rich, creamy and comforting ravioli with mushroom sauce. It’s ready in under 30 minutes and is perfect for a weeknight dinner while also being special enough for date night at home. Made with mushrooms, your favourite ravioli, heavy cream, white wine and parmesan cheese.
This recipe is to die for. There is just something about ravioli in an umami packed mushroom cream sauce that makes for such a special dinner. This is a mushroom-forward sauce–no sun dried tomatoes, no spinach.
What I love about this recipe is that it’s simple and straightforward enough for a weeknight (hello under 30 minute dinner!), but also the perfect dish for a special dinner. (Valentine’s Day, anyone?)
Why this recipe works
You can’t go wrong with the classic combination of mushrooms cooked in butter and garlic. With every bite you’ll taste umami from mushrooms and Parmesan cheese, richness from the cream and delicate floral notes from a little bit of fresh thyme.
I like to use store bought ravioli to keep things simple, but you could absolutely make homemade ravioli.
- This recipe uses white button mushrooms but cremini would also be delicious.
- I like to either use cheese ravioli or mushroom ravioli, I find that using a meat stuffed pasta can kind of take over the delicate cream sauce.
- White wine helps to balance the richness of the cream by adding some acidity and sweetness. You’ll use this to deglaze the pan after sauteeing in the mushrooms.
- Heavy cream. Don’t skip this, don’t try to replace it! This is a cream sauce for a reason.
- Fresh thyme is one of my favourite herbs that pairs beautifully with mushrooms and perfumes the cream sauce. If you don’t have access to fresh thyme, you could use about ⅛ or ¼ tsp of dried thyme.
- Avoid stirring your mushrooms constantly, you actually want them to brown so add them to the pan and let them do their thing for a bit before stirring.
- You can prep the sauce ahead of time, just reheat on the stove before serving.
- If you are prepping ahead, you’ll want to make sure that you’re adding the ravioli to the cream sauce just before serving. If you add it too much earlier, you may end up with mushy, overcooked pasta.
What to serve this with
I’d go with a big chopped salad or some bitter greens for balance like roasted broccoli rabe or roasted cauliflower with pesto.
Ravioli with Mushroom Sauce
- 1.5 lbs fresh ravioli, mushroom, cheese or spinach will work
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 lb white button mushrooms, or cremini
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Cook ravioli according to package directions.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, garlic and salt. Cook for 4-5 minutes until browned and most of their liquid has been released. Deglaze with white wine and cook another minute.
- Stir in cream and thyme. Cook another five minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in Parmesan cheese and ravioli. Serve immediately.
Leave a Review