In need of a super simple, last-minute appetizer for the holidays? Grab some puff pastry from the freezer and make these delicious sweet and savoury puff pastry brie bites! This post is sponsored by Loblaw.
I love having people over to my small, cozy apartment, but I’ve quickly learned that the key is to keep things super simple. You don’t need a huge spread with impressive, but time-consuming appetizers. It’s more about the company and conversation than the food.
And because my apartment is so small (I don’t have kitchen table), I find making snacks or appetizers is always the way to go. A quick tip? Always keep puff pastry in the freezer for times when you need a quick snack that will come together in twenty minutes.
With recipes like these puff pastry bites with brie, red pepper jelly and walnuts, all of your last minute holiday entertaining will be a breeze, and your spread will look totally gourmet and Instagram-worthy. I always head to my local Loblaws to pickup all of these ingredients.
I pulled this together with items I had on hand as I planned this little last minute, holiday get together with some of my girlfriends from high school. The best part? It’s made with only five ingredients and can be served hot or at room temp.
What you’ll need for this recipe: puff pastry, Brie cheese, red pepper jelly, walnuts and honey. That is it. These are ingredients that are great to have on hand because you could also use them to make my favourite baked brie.
I like to roll mine into smallish pinwheels because a) it’s much faster than individually preparing each “bite”, and b) it looks pretty. You don’t need to worry about the pinwheels looking a little wonky before you bake them; puff pastry is super forgiving and these will puff up into perfect circles without any problem.
To make a sweet puff pastry bite
To make a sweet version, simply replace the red pepper jelly with a chocolate hazelnut spread and sprinkle the inside with toasted hazelnuts. Roll, slice and bake for a simple, sweet treat.
To make a savoury, garlic puff pastry bite
Think of cheesy garlic bread in the perfect, crisp puff pastry bite. Replace the red pepper jelly with garlic butter and sprinkle with cheddar cheese, green onion and minced garlic. Roll, slice and bake.
For the holidays, I like to make things a little extra special so when these came out of the oven, I drizzled them with some good quality honey. It gave them sweet and savoury notes, which is always sure to impress (even though it couldn’t be easier!).
Puff Pastry Brie Bites
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tbsp red pepper jelly
- 2.5 oz / 70g Brie cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tbsp Honey, for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll out puff pastry into a 12x15 inch rectangle. Spread with red pepper jelly and sprinkle evenly with Brie cubes and walnuts.
- Starting at the bottom (longer) side, tightly roll into a log shape. With a sharp knife, cut into ½” slices, you should have about 20-23 slices. Don’t worry if the slices end up a little squished, they will puff up in the oven.
- Arrange on prepared baking sheet about ½” apart and bake for 18-22 minutes. When the cheese has melted and slightly browned and tops are golden, remove from oven and drizzle with honey.