Lemon thyme chicken with white wine and garlic takes this lemon roast chicken recipe to the next level. This post contains affiliate links.
You can’t have too many roast chicken recipes; it’s without a doubt a staple in my kitchen. What I love about this lemon herb chicken is that it doesn’t require a long marinade like my juicy, buttermilk chicken. This truly is a simple roast chicken recipe.
The truth is roasting a whole chicken isn’t usually a favourite for a busy weeknight meal. If you’re on the go, you don’t really have over an hour to roast a chicken. BUT, if you are home for the evening, why not roast a whole chicken?
What temperature should I roast a lemon herb chicken?
Roast a lemon herb chicken at 350F, this allows it to stay juicy and get a beautiful golden and crisp skin without burning.
This lemon chicken recipe really takes no prep, which is one of the best parts about this simple recipe. The chicken cavity is stuffed with lemon and garlic, and the skin is brushed with oil and sprinkled with dried thyme, salt and pepper.
This is the kind of recipe that I usually make on a Saturday or Sunday, when I’m puttering around my apartment–working on a project, cleaning or just generally being at home. Because it takes just ten minutes of prep and then cooks for an hour and a half, it means that I have some time to check off a few things on my list.
How do I know when roast chicken is cooked?
The best way to know for sure that your chicken is done cooking is to use a digital instant-read thermometer (this is the digital thermometer that I use). Insert the thermometer between the leg and the breast (this is the thickest part of thicken–be sure not to hit the bone). Once the thermometer reads 160F-165F the chicken is done.
Lemon Thyme Roasted Chicken
- 1 whole roasting chicken, about 3-4 lbs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 lemons, divided
- 5 cloves garlic, divided
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brush chicken with olive oil and sprinkle all over (and inside the cavity) with dried thyme, salt, pepper.
- Halve one lemon and stuff in the cavity of the chicken along with 2 cloves of garlic.
- Slice the second lemon, and arrange lemon slices and remaining 3 cloves of garlic in a baking dish. Add white wine and water.
- Place prepared chicken on top of lemons.
- Cover chicken with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Remove foil, baste and cook uncovered for 45 minutes to an 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked.
This lemon thyme roasted chicken gets it’s beautiful, golden crisp colour from being brushed with olive oil before being sprinkled with thyme, salt and pepper. Let me know if you give it a try in the comments below.