An easy side dish made on the barbecue! Grilled sweet potato fries are sweet and salty, with a perfectly tender and fluff inside and crispy outside. Keep the skins on and cut them into wedges for the perfect sweet potato fry on the grill. They are the perfect side dish to go with burgers, hot dogs or whatever you’ve got on the grill!
A smoky and delicious take on sweet potato fries, this recipe uses the grill to add some char and flavour to the sweet potatoes.
Why this recipe works
Toss parboiled sweet potato wedges in a simple spice rub of canola oil, cumin and garlic powder and grill them until heated through and charred. Parboiling the potatoes ahead of time means they will be perfectly tender without burning.
Ingredients you’ll need
- Sweet potatoes, you’ll want to choose sweet potatoes that are evenly shaped, I find oval ones are a bit easier to slice into even wedges. Because I like keeping the skins on, you’ll want tot give them a good scrub before cooking.
- For the spice rub, I use a combination of cumin, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. I like the subtle earthy notes that cumin brings, and the cayenne pepper adds some much needed heat to balance the sweetness of the vegetables, but they won’t be spicy. Garlic is a must with sweet potatoes!
- In terms of the oil, use a neutral oil like canola oil. This won’t add any flavor to the dish and it has a higher smoke point than olive oil.
- I recommend slicing the sweet potatoes into wedges, this creates more surface area for grilling (more flavor from charred grill marks!) and will also create slices that are thick enough that they won’t fall through the grates super easily.
- You’ll want to parboil the wedges in salted water for about three minutes. This means the sweet potatoes will be partially cooked before they hit the grill and you’ll only need to grill them for about three minutes per side.
- Place the sweet potato wedges crosswise across the grates to avoid the wedges from falling in between. You could also use a grill basket.
Let me know if you give these grilled sweet potato wedges a try in the comments below.