This easy avocado feta dip comes together in 10 minutes and is made with less than 10 ingredients. With avocado, onion, feta, cilantro and jalapeno (leave it out if you don’t like spice!) this dip is a hit to serve for all occasions. This recipe was originally published on February 24, 2013 and updated on January 26, 2022.
There are certain ingredients and flavours that just work together; creamy avocados and salty and tangy feta are just one of them. Learning the basis of flavor pairings and why certain ingredients work together is one of the simplest ways to improve your home cooking.
This is an elevated and unique way to prepare avocados and is a great recipe to serve for game day or watching the Superbowl.
I love using this flavor combination in salads, like this avocado feta and cucumber salad.
Why this recipe works
This is a dip that will surprise and delight anyone you serve it to! It will, no doubt, be the star of the show and is the perfect appetizer to have on the counter when your guests arrive.
The avocados pair perfectly with the salty and tangy feta, onion, garlic and jalapeno add a little bit of bite and the cilantro finishes it all off with the perfect burst of freshness.
The avocados add creaminess which means this dip is made without any kind of filler like cream cheese or yogurt. You can also uses avocados in more of a salsa style appetizer like in an avocado shrimp dip.
- You’ll want to use super ripe avocados here so that they can puree in the food processor, we’re going for a smooth, not chunky, texture.
- When it comes to choosing ripe avocados, Love One Today has a great guide to choosing fresh avocados every single time.
- I use fresh jalapeno, but I’ve also subbed this for ¼ cup of pickled jalapenos before and it is delicious.
- If you’re not a fan of cilantro you can leave it out or use parsley instead, but it does add a brilliant fresh flavour to the finished dish.
- This dip uses lemon juice to stop it from turning brown. The acidity in the lemon juice will stop the avocado from oxidizing (which is what makes it turn brown). You could also swap in lime juice if you don’t have lemons on hand.
- When shopping for feta cheese try and find Greek feta that comes in a brine. The brine not only intensifies the flavor, but the feta will also last longer in the fridge. It’s salty and sharp with the perfect texture for crumbling on a salad or blending in a dip.
Avocado Feta Dip
- 2 avocados
- ¾ cup crumbled feta
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a food processor, pulse avocado, feta, onion, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add lemon juice, olive oil and salt. Puree again until smooth.
Leave a Review