Combine asparagus with zucchini and tofu for a protein-packed vegetarian dinner with sriracha, red curry paste, sesame oil and hoisin!
There is so much I love about summer and so far this season has been filled with long conversations on patios overlooking the city, weekends up north filled with barbecues, suntanning, and early morning dives into a chilly lake, long walks through the ravine with my pup, more dinners in the backyard than inside, outdoor concerts and of course strawberry picking.
These long, light-filled days make me so happy. So that’s my summer so far, how is yours treating you? I think we should all agree to be intentional with how we spend these precious warm, sunny days.
Have you ever created a ‘summer bucket list’? I feel like this is such a blogosphere and Instagram sort of thing. I’ve never actually come up with a list of things I want to do in the summer, I prefer to just go with the flow and see where things go. I try to say “YES!” a lot more during the summer but I’m curious, are you summer bucket list kind of person? I’d love to hear what is on your list this summer, let me know in the comments below!
Asparagus is definitely one of my favourite vegetables; it is the first sign of spring and summer here in Ontario. I’ve been known to roast a whole bunch of asparagus with plenty of olive oil, salt and pepper for dinner. I mean, that’s healthy right? Ok, maybe not the most balanced, but it’s better than a bowl of popcorn for dinner (of which I am also guilty).
What I love about this recipe is that it’s made with ingredients that you most likely have in your pantry, and if you don’t, you should. The tofu is tossed in sriracha, which is such an easy way to add a ton of flavour and then the asparagus and zucchini are pan-fried and tossed with a sauce made of red curry paste, hoisin, soy sauce, fish sauce and sesame oil. It’s that easy.
If you’re looking for more ways to use asparagus and zucchini, why not try my grilled sesame asparagus or my go-to summer salad, grilled zucchini with white beans and capers.
Asparagus, zucchini and tofu stir-fry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp hoisin
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp fish sauce, leave out for vegan option
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 420 g firm tofu, liquid pressed out and cut into 1" cubes
- 2 tbsp sriracha
- 2 tsp canola oil, divided
- 1 lb asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut int 1" pieces
- sesame seeds for garnish
- In a medium bowl, whisk soy sauce with hoisin, curry paste, fish sauce and sesame oil. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss tofu with sriracha.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp canola oil and tofu. Cook, stirring occasionally until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Remove to plate and reserve.
- Add asparagus and zucchini, cook until softened about 5-7 minutes. Add tofu and soy mixture. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve over rice and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Let me know if you give this asparagus, zucchini and tofu stir-fry a try in the comments below (and tell me what’s on your bucket list).