This fast and easy shrimp and broccoli stir fry is the answer to the never ending weeknight dinner dilemma. With garlic, ginger, soy sauce and sambal oelek this will quickly become a sweet and spicy favourite.
Stir fry recipes simply are the best. They come together so quickly and can be made with practically whatever ingredients you have on hand. Plus, they always end up being delicious.
There are many varieties of stir fry out there, but shrimp has quickly become one of my go-to ingredients because it cooks so quickly and doesn’t need much in terms of marinating or adding flavour.
I also love this simple recipe for shrimp and kimchi stir fry that’s ready in 15 minutes.
I always have a bag of shrimp in my freezer to make weeknight dinner’s a breeze, I also love this one-pot shrimp and couscous recipe. You’ll notice that I always leave the tails on, this is truly just for aesthetics, if I were just cooking this on a regular weeknight, I wouldn’t leave the tails on.
Another thing that I love about a stir fry is that you can alter it to suite your taste; add a little more ginger for a spicy kick, leave out the onion if you’re not a fan, or swap the broccoli for green beans.
Does broccoli need to be cooked before the stir fry?
In this recipe, no, the broccoli does not need to be cooked before the stir fry. I like to chop my broccoli into small, bite-sized florets and cook them in the wok until they get a little charred.
It adds flavour to the broccoli and the vegetable will end up tender-crisp.
The trick for this shrimp and broccoli stir fry is to prep everything ahead and cook your ingredients separately. This is a great read on 10 tips for making the best stir fry.
For the sauce, it’s a simple combination of chicken broth (you could use vegetable broth as well), soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine vinegar, sambal oelek and corn starch.
First, cook the shrimp with the garlic and ginger, it only takes a couple of minutes for the shrimp to turn pink and be ready. Remove these and set aside and cook the broccoli and onion. For the vegetables, we’re looking for some char as this will add flavour to the final dish.
Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
For Stir Fry Sauce:
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sambal oelek, optional
For Stir Fry:
- 3 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 300 g peeled and deveined shrimp
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 heads broccoli, chopped into small florets, about 5-6 cups chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- Stir together all ingredients for the sauce and set aside.
- Heat wok over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp oil followed by garlic and ginger. Cook for 1 minute until very fragrant, but not browning.
- Add shrimp with salt. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently until shrimp is pink and opaque. Remove from wok and set aside.
- Return wok to heat, add remaining oil followed by red onion and broccoli. Cook, stirring frequently for 3-4 minutes, until vegetable have softened and are starting to brown and char slightly.
- Add sauce, and cook another 1-2 minutes until broccoli is fork tender and sauce has begun to thicken slightly–it wills till be runny. Return shrimp to pan, and toss until heated through. Serve over rice.