I am so happy that December is here, friends. The holidays are without a doubt one of my favourite times of the year. There is lots to do, but it’s stuff that we want to do. Having family over, hosting friends for festive Secret Santa’s, decorating the Christmas tree, watching too many so-bad-they’re-good Christmas movies. I can’t really do any of that fun, festive stuff until after finals, but it’s nice to have something to look forward to.
The end of the semester is major crunch time. I think it’s safe to say that I’ve spent more hours at school in the past couple of weeks than anywhere else. In between studying, I’ve been working on some new recipes in the kitchen. A nice mix, some yummy holiday desserts and some simple, healthy weeknight meals. This Sausage Mushroom and Swiss Chard Pasta is one of those easy weeknight dinners that are so crucial at this time of year. The sausage adds a lot of flavour and the mushrooms and swiss chard give this dish a nutritional boost.
Here’s a favourite, peaceful moment from last week. Leaving campus at 1am after a long editing session locking the picture on my short film.
Yields 4 servings
Combine sausage, mushrooms, swiss chard and pasta for a healthy, weeknight one pot dinner.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 (1lb) hot Italian sausage links, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 8 oz white button mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups chopped swiss chard
- pasta, cooked to package directions
- In a large pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sliced sausage and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add button mushrooms and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add swiss chard, cook for another 2 minutes or until wilted.
- Serve over cooked pasta.
Recipe by Louisa Clements
Leave a Review