Usually I try to share healthier recipes on Living Lou, but not today. It was one of those feel-sorry-for-yourself type of days. You know, one of those days when things don’t quite go your way?
Like not getting accepted into the college and program of your dreams. Yeah, one of those days.
A day when all I wanted was a donut (or a dozen), and then I realized that it was Victoria Day and that meant that every single store in the city was closed. From there, I decided that I would make my own donuts. Then I realized that I have a great fear of oil and deep frying. Then my phone decided not to recognized my sim-card. Then it dawned on me that there are only 3 episodes of Oprah left. Then I started to cry, I love Oprah.
I was going through my cookbooks and documents of saved recipes when I stumbled upon this little gem: Muffins that taste like Donuts. Seriously, finally someone decided that I could be happy for at least 1 minute today. The ever comforting muffins combined with sugary, unhealthy donuts, my oh my, a match made in heaven.
So I wiped away my tears and checked myself out in the mirror. Based on the state of my eye-liner, I had definitely been doing, as Oprah would say, the Ugly Cry. Then I felt my eyes stinging again because did I mention, there are only 3 episodes of Oprah left! So, I took a deep breath and set my alarm for 4pm so I wouldn’t miss a minute of the episode. Turned on my favourite feel good music, The Lion King soundtrack, and baked away my sorrows.
Yields Makes 8
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk oil, while sugar, egg and milk together. Pour over dry ingredients and gently mix together.
- Scoop into a muffin tin and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- While muffins are baking, melt butter in a bowl. In a separate bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon.
- Loosen muffins with a knife and shake out of the pan. Dip in butter and then cinnamon sugar mixture. Cool on a wire wrack.
- Calories 2905
- Total Fat: 130 g 200%
- Saturated Fat: 44 g 220%
- Cholesterol: 140 mg 46.67%
- Sodium: 2440 mg 101.67%
- Potassium: 542 mg 15.49%
- Total Carbohydrate: 412 g %
- Sugar: 227 g
- Protein: 35 g
- Vitamin A: 34.98%
- Calcium: 500 mg 50%
- Iron: 12 mg 66.67%
Well, Oprah is on, so I will go and eat another 3 muffin donuts while I watch the third to last episode.
Leave a Review