Chicken chili is something that I didn’t eat very much of when I was growing up, it was usually a classic chili con carne or even a vegetarian chili, but chicken was often saved for stews or soups. I felt like chicken wouldn’t have quite the same amount of flavour as beef so why use chicken? Well, boy was I wrong! This white chicken chili recipe is so comforting and uses a mixture of chicken, white kidney beans, tomatoes and diced green chilis along with herbs and spices for a flavour-loaded chicken chili. What I love about this recipe is that it also uses a more budget-friendly cut of chicken, chicken thighs. Not only are these typically cheaper than chicken breasts, but they also have more flavour – it’s a win-win situation.
I’m glad that today is another Secret Recipe Club reveal day because I’m suffering from major writer’s block. If I wasn’t going to talk about the lovely Angela from Angela’s Kitchen you might be stuck reading about how I’ve been listening to Carry This Picture by Dashboard Confessional on repeat all weekend. Or my obsession with Beatles cover bands. And donuts. And Carey Grant. It’s an odd time, right now.
Anyways, Angela’s Kitchen is a wonderful site and a great resource for a variety of recipes for people with dietary restrictions, which is something that’s becoming even more popular these days. She has great sections for gluten free and dairy free recipes which covers off pretty much everyone. I was inspired by her Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili, I’ve always loved chili but like I said, I have never had a white chicken chili. I’m so glad that I tried this because it is one of my favourite comforting meals. It’s so easy and packed with flavour, I adapted mine to cook on the stove top, but I’m sure it would be just as good in a slow cooker. If you are looking to make chili in the slow cooker, I have a great slow cooker chili recipe with sweet potatoes.
A comforting white chicken chili perfect for crisp fall evenings.
10 minPrep Time
30 minCook Time
40 minTotal Time
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 onion, chopped or grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 12 oz can spicy diced tomatoes and red pepper or just plain diced tomatoes
- 1 4 oz can diced green chiles
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- ½ 28oz can white kidney beans
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add diced chicken and cook for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Add onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Next, pour in diced tomatoes, green chiles, oregano, cumin and coriander. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, stirring to coat.
- Add in beans and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Finally, add in cheddar and serve.
Give this Chicken Chili a try, it’s a nice change from your typical ground beef and beans chili.
Leave a Review