Medjool date, bacon and chocolate cookies, I bet you’re thinking that I’ve lost my mind, but let me tell you a bit about this recipe first. I’ve been working with Natural Delights to come up with a recipe using their medjool dates. Once I decided on something sweet (because you could also go savory with medjools) I knew I wanted to do a cookie, but the best part was coming up with flavor combinations to try out.
Chocolate + Bacon = delicious
Medjool dates + bacon = delicious
Chocolate + Medjool dates = delicious
So I thought that it would be fun to combine all of those flavours into a cookie.
While these cookies might not be the healthiest option out there, they make for a great special treat. Plus medjool dates do have a ton of health benefits as I mentioned in my Chocolate Banana Smoothie post, they are high in antioxidants but they also contain slow release sugars which means that you won’t have a big sugar high and then crash later on.
Another option for this cookie is instead of having the medjool dates on top of the cookie, you can chop them up and fold them into the cookie batter with the chocolate chips and bacon. I like to put them on the top, because if you eat the cookies when they are warm it’s as if the cookies have a sweet, caramel center.
Medjool dates, bacon and chocolate are the perfect flavour combination for a delicious cookie!
- 10 slices of bacon, cooked at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, then chopped.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 15-16 medjool dates, halved and pitted
- Preheat oven to 325. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Then add vanilla.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture in two additions.
- Stir in oats, chocolate chips and bacon pieces.
- Form cookies into 1 1/2 tbsp balls. Press half a medjool date onto each cookie.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes or until edges are golden.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a rack.
Recipe by Louisa Clements
Disclosure: I was compensated for this post and to develop this recipe for Natural Delights. As always, all opinions are 100% mine. Thank you for supporting Living Lou and my sponsors.