Yes, Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, so naturally, a decadent chocolate dessert is required. This year, I’ve opted for brownies. Not only are these brownies ridiculously simple to make but they are also gluten-free. I know, who thought you could put gluten-free and simple in the same sentence?
I’ve had a love-hate relationship with gluten-free brownies for about 15 years. I know, 3/4 of my life. You see, my mum and grandmother have been gluten intolerant since before being gluten intolerant was a thing (a.k.a 20 years). Now, back in the day, there wasn’t such a thing as a gluten-free aisle in the grocery store and there wasn’t this myriad of gluten-free flours to use in baked goods. This equaled a lot of delicious, but quite dry and crumbly (sorry, mum!) desserts. This didn’t transfer over well to brownies because, let’s face the facts, brownies must be fudgy. And these brownies are fudgy, they don’t crumble and have just the right amount of richness you want in a brownie. And want to hear the best part about this recipe? It doesn’t use fifteen hundred different types of flours, just almond meal (ground almonds)!
Who knew gluten-free brownies could be so simple? Try these for a simple Valentine's Day dessert!
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a 8x8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond meal, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk sugar with eggs.
- Next, temper the eggs. Add a couple of tablespoons of the melted chocolate and butter mixture and whisk it into the eggs. Then, add the remaining chocolate and whisk together.
- Gently add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Pour batter into lined baking dish.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes.
Recipe by Louisa Clements
If you’re looking for more Valentine’s dessert ideas, check out these recipes:
I’m so glad to say that after 15 years, and some exhaustive (amazing) testing, I’ve finally found the recipe for Gluten-Free Brownies.