My slow cooker was a lifesaver last weekend. Between film shoots, chicken wings, blogger outings, brunches and homework there wasn’t much time to spend over a hot stove. Mind you, somehow I did manage to get in some chocolate chip cookie baking, and was able to perfect another slow cooker recipe coming your way soon. Now that I think about it, I’m not really sure how I packed that much into one weekend. But it happened, and it was great. (Follow me on Instagram for a behind the scenes look!)
Ever since I made Moroccan Chicken Soup last year, I’ve fallen in love with Moroccan flavours. I love the depth and how the combination of spices are so different from the recipes I typically create. If you’re looking for something with a little bit of an ethnic flair, I highly recommend trying this slow cooker Moroccan chicken stew recipe. You might be surprised by the sheer amount of spices used, but when you finally get a chance to taste this stew, you’ll understand. This recipe requires a about 10 minutes of cooking on the stove before dumping into the slow cooker, but it’s well worth it.
Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken Stew is a flavourful stew that cooks all day in your slow cooker.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 1/4 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- In a large pan, preheat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion, sauté until beginning to soften about 2-3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat diced chicken in 1 tbsp of spice mixture.
- Add chicken to pan and brown - about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sweet potato, carrots and remaining spice mixture. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Dump chicken and vegetables into slow cooker.
- Add crushed tomato and water to the pan you cooked the vegetables and chicken in. Stir to loosen up brown bits on bottom of the pan.
- Dump liquid into slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
Recipe by Louisa Clements
Let me know if you give this slow cooker Moroccan chicken stew a try!