Enjoy the bold flavours of Morocco with this simple and healthy slow cooker moroccan chicken stew loaded with sweet potatoes and carrots.
My slow cooker was a lifesaver last weekend as it has been for many recent weekends. Between film shoots, chicken wings and beers, blogger outings, brunches and homework there wasn’t much time to spend over a hot stove and when I say there wasn’t much time I mean there wasn’t any time. Mind you, somehow I did manage to get in some chocolate chip cookie baking, and was able to perfect another slow cooker recipe coming your way soon. Now that I think about it, I’m not really sure how I packed that much into one weekend. But it happened, and it was great. Every now and then there is just a great weekend, one for the record books and this past weekend was one of those. It had a little bit of everything that I love and I woke up on Monday feeling not only a little bit tired but also fulfilled and happy. I’ve been posting lots of behind the scenes snaps over on Instagram so be sure to follow me there.
Ever since I made Moroccan Chicken Soup last year, I’ve fallen in love with Moroccan flavours. I love the depth and how the combination of spices are so different from the kinds recipes I typically create. Moroccan cuisine uses a combination of sweet and savoury flavours, you’ll often find a combination of ginger, cinnamon, turmeric and allspice and they’ll often mix in dried fruit as well. This creates a complex flavour profile that is becoming increasingly popular in Toronto. I’ve been seeing Moroccan-style dishes all over menus, which makes me so happy, so expect more Moroccan-inspired dishes on Living Lou in the coming months. If you’re wondering what to pair with this slow cooker recipe, I’d serve it with my Moroccan inspired couscous salad for a well-rounded and simple meal.
If you’re looking for something with a little bit of an ethnic flair, I highly recommend trying this slow cooker Moroccan chicken stew recipe. You might be surprised by the sheer amount of spices used, but when you finally get a chance to taste this stew, you’ll understand. This recipe requires about 10 minutes of cooking on the stove before dumping into the slow cooker, but it’s well worth it.
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet potato, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1¼ cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, paprika, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, black pepper and salt.
- In a medium bowl, toss chicken with 1 tbsp of spice mixture.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, sauté until beginning to soften about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken to pan and brown, 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sweet potato, carrots and remaining spice mixture. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Dump chicken and vegetables into slow cooker.
- Add crushed tomato and water to the pan you cooked the vegetables and chicken in. Stir to loosen up brown bits on bottom of the pan.
- Dump liquid into slow cooker.
- Cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.
Let me know if you give this slow cooker Moroccan chicken stew a try!