The idea of making dinner every single night is terrifying. I don’t know how parents do it, I mean three meals a day for 1+ kids. Everyday. Single. Day. Somedays I can barely remember to feed myself! I know, surprising coming from a food blogger. But I do remember to feed Sophie (my dog), but dumping a scoop of dry dog food into a bowl doesn’t require much effort, or planning.
This Roasted Red Pepper and Olive Pasta recipe is kind of a cheater dinner because it’s so easy, it practically takes as much effort to put together as dumping the dog food into the bowl. Except instead of dog food, it’s fresh, healthy veggies (red peppers!) and instead of a dog bowl, it’s a hot oven. And then this healthy veggie mixture roasts together and gets sweet and yummy and then you add cooked pasta (whole wheat, please) and cooked chicken and you have a meal. You’ve got your vegetables, whole grains and protein, add some dairy somewhere in the meal and you’ve got all your food groups covered. With just a little chopping, stirring and draining. Easy peasy.
A simple pasta sauce highlighting Mediterranean flavours and using leftover chicken!
- 2 red peppers, sliced into thin 1 inch long strips
- 1 cup halved pitted kalamata olives
- 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken (poached, roasted, rotisserie etc.)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 package of whole wheat penne pasta, cooked according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Toss red pepper, olives and garlic with olive oil.
- Dump into a roasting pan and roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in chicken.
- Serve over whole wheat penne.
Recipe by Louisa Clements