I think slow cookers were made for those periods in the year that are just so busy you don’t have time to think, let alone time to make dinner.
February, March and April have definitely proven themselves to be the busiest months for me. I don’t know what it is, but literally everything happens within these three months. It can definitely be stressful and it does test my level of sanity, but the stress is totally worth it when I can finally spend all day Saturday catching up on all the episodes of Chopped I’ve missed. Which I’ve already marked on my calendar…what can I say, I love Chopped.
These Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos are a slow cooker riff off of my favourite Shredded Chicken Tacos. These literally take 10 minutes to prep and then you can dump it all in the slow cooker and come home to a delicious meal. What I love about this recipe is that it makes healthy food easy and fast to prepare, all you have to do is spend 15 minutes in the morning to throw this all together and you com home to a delicious homemade meal – no store bough, sugar filled, frozen meal for dinner.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos are perfect for busy families.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 2/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- In a pan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Saute onions for 3-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and spices, cook for another minute or until fragrant. Stir in the crushed tomatoes.
- Lightly grease the inside of the slow cooker with a little olive oil.
- Place chicken breasts at the bottom and cover with the onion, spices and tomato mixture.
- Cook on low for 3-5 hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred using two forks. You will have lots of extra sauce so add in as much as you want to the shredded chicken.
- Serve shredded chicken tacos with your favourite toppings - I love to put avocado on mine.
These Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos will be a lifesaver on those busy days.